Older workers can have a difficult time finding and maintaining employment – often, through no fault of their own, but due to discrimination. With all the various types of discrimination in the workplace, age discrimination sometimes gets less attention. While California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act affords some protections against age discrimination, discrimination is not always easy to spot. Employees often wonder “was I discriminated against or not, and if so, what can I do? What are my rights?” Employees in Southern California in this position should contact an age discrimination lawyer in Los Angeles to help explain the law that applies to their particular situation so that they can clearly understand their rights, and their employer’s obligations.
What is age discrimination?
Under the Fair Employment and Housing Act, an employer may not take “adverse employment actions” against an employee because that employee is over 40 years old. So, what are signs of age discrimination or “adverse employment actions?” When is it time to contact an age discrimination lawyer in Los Angeles? Here are some things to look for:
• The age-related phase out: older employees are being pushed hard to retire or are no longer moving up in the company.
• Harassment: ongoing derogatory comments about older employees’ ages.
• Preferential treatment: younger employees are given more opportunities even if they are not as qualified for the role(s).
• Unwarranted change in job review status: older employees’ productivity has not changed but the employees receive uncharacteristic poor reviews.
• Isolated: older employees are left out of meetings, not given pertinent information and not invited to company-wide after-work social events.
How an age discrimination lawyer in Los Angeles can help
Age discrimination can be subtle. Akopyan Law Firm A.P.C. has many years’ experience in dealing with workplace discrimination, including age-related discrimination. We help our clients understand their rights and obligations and, when needed, represent our clients in court. We provide a free consultation to discuss the unique factors of each client’s situation, determine if there is a case, and possible solutions.
When in need of an age discrimination lawyer in Los Angeles consider calling Akopyan Law Firm A.P.C.
We operate out of office in Burbank, but serve Glendale, Los Angeles, and all of Southern California. We typically represent employees on a contingency fee basis, so our clients never have to worry about up-front fees or hourly rates. Contact us in confidence when looking for an age discrimination lawyer in Los Angeles. We are proud to have helped many clients and have recovered millions for our clients. Let’s see what we can do for you.