The American Disabilities Act is federal statutory law which came into law in 1990 to prevent disability discrimination in the workplace and elsewhere in the public domain. The California legislature enacted similar requirements with the passage the Fair Employment and Housing Act which provides additional protections to employees and provides additional requirements for employers. Akopyan Law Firm A.P.C. is where employers and employees in Burbank, Glendale and Los Angeles turn when they look for a “disability discrimination lawyer near me.” We have years of experience in all aspects of discrimination law, and help employers and employees understand their rights and obligations.
What to do and what not to do
Both employers and employees can benefit from a legal consultation regarding federal and state discrimination laws. There are also several other things employers and employees can do, like for example:
• Instead of asking potential job applicants about disabilities, ask if they can perform the essential job functions, and clearly delineate what those functions are.
• If you are legally privy to any medical information about the applicant or the employee, keep that information private and secure.
• Make reasonable accommodations for disabled employees.
• Review office polices to ensure they are consistent with the law.
• Recognize what is and what is not discrimination. While some behavior is unsavory, it may not break the law. Akopyan Law Firm A.P.C. helps employees understand discrimination law, rights and obligations.
• Carefully and respectfully – and legally – compile evidence. This means writing things down (what was said or done, the time, place, etc.) or saving emails that could point to discrimination. This does not mean taking company property (digital or not) off site, recording conversations, or secretly videotaping.
• Contact an employment lawyer before taking drastic action, such as resigning. Quitting can damage a potential case.
• Do not air your grievances on social media.
The “disability discrimination lawyer near me” with experience
For the City of Burbank and its surroundings, the Akopyan Law Firm A.P.C. is the “disability discrimination lawyer near me” that both employees and employers turn to for help in understanding the law. We have many years’ experience in all forms of discrimination law, including disability discrimination. Our contingency-based services for employees mean no upfront costs, retainers, or hourly fees; our fee comes from a portion of what we recover on the employee’s behalf. Serving the Glendale, Burbank and Los Angeles area, we are the disability discrimination lawyer you can always count on. Click here to learn more.