Discrimination in the workplace is a complex subject which is addressed in several different sources of statutory law. For employees in Hollywood, workplace discrimination laws can be found in:
• California Constitution
• California Labor Code
• California Government Code
• California Business & Professions Code
• Fair Labor Standards Act
• Family and Medical Leave Act
• California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA)
• California Family Rights Act
• National Labor Relations Act
• Labor Management Relations Act
• Employee Retirement Income Security Act
• Title VII of the Civil Rights Act
• And more
Discrimination laws are complex; it is not an easy feat to know and understand all the nuances. When questions arise about gender discrimination in the workplace, those in southern California turn to Akopyan Law Firm A.P.C., when looking for an experienced employment discrimination attorney in Hollywood.
What is gender discrimination in the workplace?
According to the DFEH, “It is illegal for employers of five or more employees to discriminate against job applicants and employees because of a protected category or retaliate against them because they have asserted their rights under the law (Department of Fair Employment and Housing).” Some of the protected categories include sexual orientation and gender identity/expression. For example, gender discrimination takes many forms, including but not limited to:
• Being denied a promotion based on gender alone.
• Earning less than the opposite sex despite having the same level of training and/or competency for the job.
• Gender related harassment (touching, comments, etc.).
• Isolated or squeezed out (not invited to meetings, given pertinent information, not invited to work social events).
With so many nuances in workplace discrimination laws, an experienced employment discrimination attorney in Hollywood can provide the requisite clarity to both employees and employers.
Akopyan Law Firm A.P.C.: a trusted employment discrimination attorney in Hollywood
Akopyan Law Firm A.P.C. is an experienced, trusted name for anyone in southern California looking for a firm specializing in employment and discrimination law. Operating out of Burbank, we serve employees in Glendale, Los Angeles, and elsewhere in Southern California, and have helped many happy clients and recovered millions in damages in all types of employment cases including discrimination. We offer our services on a contingency basis (no upfront fees, retainers or hourly costs) to ensure every employee in Southern California. Contact us for a free consultation today. Our lawyers are here and ready to help.